Edgar A. Bernal’s research focuses on achieving high-level image and video abstraction and understanding through statistical learning. His current research interests include image and video analytics, computer vision, image- and video-based action and activity recognition, machine and deep learning, and multimodal fusion. As the Associate Director of the Rochester Data Science Consortium, Edgar’s responsibilities include collaborating with faculty, students, and regional industry partners to prioritize projects by impact and viability, both technical and financial.
Prior to joining University of Rochester, Edgar was a Principal Scientist at the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) in East Hartford, CT (from 2016 to 2018), and a Senior Research Scientist at the Palo Alto Research Center, A Xerox Company, in Webster, NY (from 2014 and 2016). He obtained MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from Purdue University, in West Lafayette, IN in 2002 and 2006, respectively.
Edgar is the author of nine journal publications, four book chapters, and 25 conference proceedings, and holds 101 issued US patents (with over 30 additional patents pending) in areas related to his current and past research interests. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, and served as the Vice-Chair of the Rochester, NY chapter of the IEEE Signal Processing Society for several years. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member at the Rochester Institute of Technology, Center for Imaging Science, and is a frequent reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, the Journal of Electronic Imaging and the Journal of Imaging Science and Technology. Following is a list of selected publications:
Peer-reviewed Journal Papers
- D. Mehta, X. Zhao, E. Bernal, D. Wales. The Loss Surface of XOR Artificial Neural Networks. Phys. Rev. E 97, May 2018.
- E. Bernal, X. Yang, Q. Li, J. Kumar, S. Madhvanath, R. Bala. Deep Temporal Multimodal Fusion for Medical Procedure Monitoring using Wearable Sensors. IEEE Transactions onMultimedia, Vol. 20(1), Jan. 2018.
- Q. Li and E. Bernal. Hybrid Tenso-Vectorial Compressive Sensing for Hyperspectral Imaging. Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 25(3), 2016.
- R. Loce, E. Bernal, W. Wu, R. Bala. Computer Vision in Roadway Transportation Systems: A Survey, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 22(4), Oct.-Dec. 2013.
- Bulan, E. Bernal, R. Loce. Efficient Processing of Transportation Surveillance Videos in the Compressed Domain, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 22(4), Oct.-Dec. 2013.
- Bernal, R. Loce. Video Analytics in the Compressed Domain. To appear in Encyclopedia of Image Processing, Taylor and Francis Group, 2018.
- Bala, E. Bernal. Driver Monitoring. Computer Vision in Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE/Wiley, 2016, ISBN: 978-1-118-97160-4.
- Wu, O. Bulan, E. Bernal, R. Loce. Detection of Moving Violations. Computer Vision in Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE/Wiley, 2016, ISBN: 978-1-118-97160-4.
- Friedland, Q. Li, D. Schonfeld, E. Bernal. Two Algorithms for Compressed Sensing of Sparse Tensors, Compressed Sensing and its Applications, Springer, 2015.
- K. G. Lore, K. Reddy, M. Giering, E. Bernal. Generative Adversarial Networks for Depth Map Estimation from RGB Video, in Proc. 2018 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), Salt Lake City, UT, June 2018.
- E. Bernal, Q. Li. Tensorial Compressive Sensing of Jointly Sparse Matrices with Applications to Color Imaging, in Proc. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Beijing, China, Sept. 2017.
- X. Yang, E. Bernal, et al. Deep Multimodal Representation Learning from Temporal Data, in Proc. 2017 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Honolulu, HI, June 2017.
- M. Shreve, E. Bernal, Q. Li, J. Kumar, R. Bala. A Study on the Discriminability of FACS from Spontaneous Facial Expressions, in Proc. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Phoenix, AZ, Sept. 2016.
- Shreve, E. Bernal, et al. Static Occlusion Detection Handling in Transportation Videos, in Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, Las Palmas, Spain, September 2015.
- Kumar, E. Bernal, et al. On-the-fly Training for Hand Detection in Egocentric Video, Oral Presentation, in Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition - Workshops, Boston, MA, June 2015.
- Bernal, Q. Li. Hybrid Vectorial and Tensorial Compressive Sensing for Hyperspectral Imaging, Oral Presentation, IEEE Conference on Audio Signal Speech Processing, Brisbane, Australia, April 2015.
- Chuang, R. Bala, E. Bernal, A. Burry, P. Paul. Estimating Gaze Direction of Vehicle Drivers using a Smartphone Camera, in Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition - Workshops, Columbus, OH, June 2014.
- Bernal, W. Wu, et al. Monocular Video-Based Vehicular Speed Estimation from Compressed Video Streams, in Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, The Hague, Netherlands, Oct. 2013.
- Delibaltov, E. Bernal, et al. Parking Lot Occupancy Determination from Lamp Post Camera Images, in Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, The Hague, Netherlands, Oct. 2013.