Photo credit: Dorothea Tuch
In residence fall semesters only.
Graduate Courses Taught
- AH 513: Architecture, Photography, Modern/Postmodern
- AH 550: Topics in Contemporary Art & Criticism: Warhol
- AH 511: Art, Dance, and Film
- AH 481: Art and the City
- AH 484: Modern Architecture and Urbanism: L.A. Modern
- AH 350: Topics in Contemporary Art & Criticism: Warhol
- AH 313: Architecture, Photography, Modern/Postmodern
- AH 311: Art, Dance, and Film
- AH 284: Modern Architecture and Urbanism: L.A. Modern
- AH 281: Art and the City
- Before Pictures, Brooklyn, Dancing Foxes Press/Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- “Our Kind of Movie”: The Films of Andy Warhol, Cambridge, MIT Press, 2012.
- Melancholia and Moralism: Essays on AIDS and Queer Politics, Cambridge, MIT Press, 2002.
- On the Museum’s Ruins, Cambridge, MIT Press, 1993 (Getty Publication Grant).
- AIDS Demo Graphics (with Adam Rolston), Seattle, Bay Press, 1990 (nominated for Lambda Book Award).
- AIDS: Cultural Analysis/Cultural Activism (editor), Cambridge, MIT Press, 1988 (Excellence in publishing Honorable Mention, Association of American Publishers Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division; Special Recognition, Words Project for AIDS).
- Mixed Use, Manhattan: Photography and Related Practices, 1970to the Present (with Lynne Cooke), Madrid, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, and Cambridge, MIT Press, 2010; see interview at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyzmng2Mh44
- Joan Jonas: Scripts and Descriptions, Berkeley, University Art Museum, and Eindhoven, Stedelijk van Abbemuseum, 1983.
- Pictures, New York, Artists Space, 1977.
Articles in Journals and Anthologies
- “Inside the Dance: Charles Atlas’s Early Collaborations with Merce Cunningham,” in Charles Atlas—, New York, Luhring Augustine, and Munich, Prestel, 2015.
- “You Can Still See Her: The Art of Trisha Brown,” Artforum, January 2011.
- “Dancers, Artworks, and People in the Galleries,” Artforum, October 2008.
- “Yvonne Rainer, Muciz Lover,” Grey Room 22, Winter 2006.
- “Getting the Warhol We Deserve,” Social Text 59, Summer 1999.
- “Mourning and Militancy,” October, Winter 1989.
- “Fassbinder, Franz, Fox, Elvira, Erwin, Armin, and All the Others,” October, Summer 1982.
- “Pictures,” October, Spring 1979.
- “WAR IS TERROR,” in Louise Lawler: Receptions, published in conjunction with the exhibition Lousie Lawler: WHY PICTURES NOW, New York, Museum of Modern Art, 2017.
- “Four Events that Have Led to Large Discoveries (about Merce Cunningham),” in Merce Cunningham: Common Time, Minneapolis, Walker Art Center, 2017.
- “Relocating Rosas,” in Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker: Work/Travail/Arbeid, Brussels, WIELS/Rosas, Mercatorfonds, 2015.
- “Pedagogical Vaudeville,” in Yvonne Rainer: Space, Body, Language, Bregenz, Kunsthaus, and Cologne, Museum Ludwig, 2012.
- “TACET,” in Tacita Dean: Seven Books Grey, Vienna, Museum Moderner Kunst, 2011.
- Interview of Douglas Crimp Conducted by Johanna Burton, March 8, April 18, August 23, 2009, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
- Mathias Danbolt, “Front Room—Back Room: An Interview with Douglas Crimp,” Trikster, http://www.trikster.net/2/crimp/1.html
- Tina Takemoto, “The Melancholy of AIDS: Interview with Douglas Crimp,” Art Journal 62, no. 4, Winter 2003; Japanese translation in InterCommunication (Tokyo) 51, Winter 2005.
- Creative Capital/Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant, 2011
- Sixteenth Annual David R. Kessler honoree, Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, Graduate Center, City University of New York, 2007
- Rockefeller Foundation Humanities Fellowship, Program for the Study of Sexuality, Gender, Health, and Human Rights, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 2000
- Frank Jewett Mather Award for Distinction in Art Criticism, College Art Association, 1988
- Art Critics Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 1984
- Art Critics Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 1973
- Editor, October, 1986-90; Executive Editor, 1983‑86; Managing Editor, 1977-1983
- Guest Curator, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, 2009-2010
- Guest Curator, Artists Space, New York, 1977
- Advisory Board, Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, City University of New York
- Advisory Board, Criticism: A Quarterly for Literature and the Arts
- Advisory Board, InVisible Culture, University of Rochester