Broadly my interests focus on experiences of family adversity and children's adjustment. More specifically, I am interested in studying the role family processes such as cohesion, stability, and support serve in attenuating children's risk for internalizing and externalizing problems resulting from familial stress. Another area of interest focuses on the timing in which familial stress occurs within developmental sensitive periods as well as the duration of exposure to familial stress and the resulting variation in children's adjustment.
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Menefee, H. K., Thompson,M. J., Guterbock, T. M., Williams, I. C., & Valdez, R. S. (2016). Mechanisms of communicating health information through Facebook: Implications for consumer health information technology design. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 8(8), e218.
- Holden, R. J., Valdez, R. S., Schubert, C. C., Thompson, M. J., & Hundt, A. S. (2016). Macroergonomic factors in the patient work system: Examining the context of patients with chronic illness. Ergonomics, 1-18.
- Thompson, M. J., & Valdez, R. S. (2015). Online Filipino Americans’ perspectives on informatics-enabled health management. Journal of Health Policy and Technology, 4(4), 320-336.
- Danielle, H. D., & Thompson, M. J. (2016). Incarcerated Parents. In Levesque, R. (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Adolescence (pp. 1403-1408). New York, NY: Springer.
- Teaching Assistant: Elementary Statistics, College of William & Mary, Fall 2016, Spring 2017
- Teaching Assistant: Families, Law & Psychology, College of William & Mary, Spring 2016
- Teaching Assistant: Service Learning in Developmental Psychology, College of William & Mary, Fall 2015, Spring 2016
Professional Honors and Awards
- 2017: Recipient of the Robert L. and Mary L. Sproull University Fellowship, University of Rochester
- 2017: Recipient of the S. Laurie Sanderson Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring, College of William & Mary
- 2013: Phi Beta Kappa, Randolph College
- 2012: Chi Alpha Sigma, Randolph College
- 2012: Psi Chi, Randolph College
- College of William & Mary, M.A., Psychology, 2017
- Randolph College, B.A., Psychology Honors, 2013