I am generally interested in studying the neurocognitive basis of development of social communication in young children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Specifically, my master’s thesis project characterized auditory spatial attention in children with ASD and investigated how acoustic complexity of speech sounds impacts spatial attention whether characteristic deficits in attentional orienting to speech are related to the acoustic complexity of speech sounds. We found that children with ASD have significantly more diffuse auditory spatial attention across speech and non-speech sounds, regardless of level of acoustic complexity.
My current work focuses on using computational modeling to quantify the impact of stimulus predictability on attentional preferences in young children with ASD across two critical learning contexts—observing and interacting with the environment. My long-term goal is to understand how atypical attentional mechanisms may differentially impact learning of social communication in ASD. This work has implications for understanding etiology as well as early identification and treatment of ASD.
- Soskey, L., Allen, P., & Bennetto, L. (2017). Auditory Spatial Attention to Speech and Complex Non-speech Sounds in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism Research.
- Soskey, L., Holcomb, P. J., & Midgley, K. J. (2016). Language Effects in Second-Language Learners: A Longitudinal Electrophysiological Study of Spanish Classroom Learning. Brain Research, 1646, 44-52.
- Shoffner, J., Trommer, B., Thurm, A., Farmer, C., Langley, W., Soskey, L., Rodriguez, A., D'Souza, P., Spence, S., Hyland, K., & Swedo, S. (2016). CSF Concentrations of 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate in a Cohort of Young Children with Autism. Neurology, 86, 2258-2263.
- Graf-Myles, J., Farmer, C., Thurm, A., Royster, C., Kahn, P., Soskey, L., Rothschild, L., & Swedo, S. (2013). Dietary Adequacy of Children with Autism Compared with Controls and the Impact of Restricted Diet. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 34, 449-459.
- Schauder, K., Allen, P., Keith, J. M., Zampella, C. J., Soskey, L. N., Stodgell, C. J., Hyman, S. L., & Bennetto, L. (2017, May). Deficits in Taste Identification, in the Context of Intact Taste Sensitivity, in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Poster presented at the 17th Annual International Meeting for Autism Research, San Francisco, CA.
- Soskey, L., Allen, P., & Bennetto, L. (2016, May). Auditory Spatial Attention and Symptom Severity in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Poster presented at the 16th Annual International Meeting for Autism Research, Baltimore, MD.
- Soskey, L., Allen, P., & Bennetto, L. (2015, April). Auditory Spatial Attention to Speech and Complex Non-speech Sounds in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Poster presented at the 22nd Annual Cognitive Neuroscience Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Pardo-Villamizar, C. A., Thurm, A., Luckenbaugh, D., Zea, A., Parra, B., Khan, H., Soskey, L., Sneller, M., & Swedo, S. (2011, November). Blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) cellular immune phenotypes in patients with autism: Increased frequency of NK cells and T effector memory cells. Poster presented at the Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting 2011, Washington, D.C.
- Soskey, L., Marti, C., Thurm, A., Joseph, L., Black, D., & Swedo, S. (2011). Measuring Cognitive Profiles of Children with Autism over Time. Poster presented at the National Institute of Mental Health-IRP Annual Scientific Retreat 2011, Lancaster, PA.
- Midgley, K. J., Soskey, L. N., Grainger, J., & Holcomb, P. J. (2011). Early vocabulary acquisition of L2 leads to rapid changes in electrophysical measures. Poster presented at The Bilingual Brain Symposium, 18th Annual Cognitive Neuroscience Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Soskey, L., Midgley, K. J., & Holcomb, P. J. (2010). Language Effects in Second Language Learners: a Longitudinal ERP Study. 17th Annual Cognitive Neuroscience Society Meeting, Montreal, Canada.
Professional Honors and Awards
- 2017-present: Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Predoctoral Fellowship, NIMH
- 2014-2015: Institutional Research Training Grant Fellow (T32 DC009974), NIDCD
- 2014-2015: Leadership and Education in Neurodevelopmental & Related Disabilities Fellowship, University of Rochester Medical Center
- 2012-2014: Robert L. and Mary L. Sproull Fellowship, University of Rochester
- 2010-2012: Post-Baccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award, NIMH
- 2010: Joanne Mary Sullivan Prize, Tufts University
- 2010: Constantine Ghikas Prize in Romance Languages, Tufts University
- 2010: Phi Beta Kappa, Tufts University
- 2006-2010: Dean's List, Tufts University
- Tufts University, B.S. 2010, Summa Cum Laude
- Majors: Biopsychology, Spanish