My research interests generally relate to the varying risk and protective factors linking early life stress and psychopathology. I am particularly interested in the effect of negative caregiving on child development. Currently, I am involved in a clinical trial investigating the treatment and prevention of mood disorders in disadvantaged adolescents with and without maltreatment histories. Beyond graduate school, I hope to contribute to the growing body of translational research supporting the effective dissemination of evidence-based practices to high-risk populations.
- Handley, E. D., Michl-Petzing, L. C., Rogosch, F. A., Cicchetti, D., & Toth, S. L. (in press). Developmental cascade effects of toddler attachment, temperament, and maternal parenting efficacy. Development and Psychopathology.
- Toth, S. L., Michl, L. C., Guild, D. J., & Lieberman, A. F. (in press). Attachment-based interventions for maltreated children. In H. Steele, & M. Steele (Eds.), Handbook of Attachment-Based Interventions. New York, NY: Guilford Publications, Inc.
- Michl, L. C., Handley, E. D., Rogosch, F. A., Cicchetti, D., & Toth, S. L. (2015). Self-Criticism as a Mechanism Linking Childhood Maltreatment and Maternal Efficacy Beliefs in Low Income Mothers with and without Depression. Child Maltreatment, 20, 4, 291-300.
- Michl, L. C., McLaughlin, K. A., Shepard, K., & Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2013). Stressful Life Events as a Determinant of Rumination: Longitudinal Associations among Early Adolescents and Adults, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122, 2, 339-352.
- McLaughlin, K. A., Michl, L. C., & Herts, K. (2013). Developmental Factors in Major Depression: A Life Course Perspective. In M. Power, (Ed.), Mood Disorders: A Handbook of Science and Practice. New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Michl, L. C., Handley, E. D., Rogosch, F., Cicchetti, D., & Toth, S. (2015, March). Self-Criticism as a Mechanism Linking Childhood Maltreatment History and Subsequent Maternal Efficacy Beliefs in Low Income Mothers with and without Depression. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Philadelphia, PA.
- Michl, L. C., Handley, E., Guild, D., Rogosch, F., Cicchetti, D., & Toth, S. (2014, March). The Impact of Autonomy and Attachment on Mental Helath in Maltreated and Nonmaltreated Adolescents. Poster presented at the 15th Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence, Austin, TX.
- Michl, L. C., Flom, M., Langer, D., Eckshtain, D., Bearman, S. K., Chorpita, B., Weisz, J. R. (2010, November). Relations Between Parental Depressive Symptoms and Parent Reports of Youth Internalizing Symptoms. Poster presented at the 44th Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy, San Francisco, California.
- Bearman, S. K., Michl, L. C., Dorf-Caine, R., & Weisz, J. R. (2010, November). It's Not Unusual: Common Elements across EBTs and Treatment as Usual for Youth Depression. In Charmaine Higa McMillan (Chair), Understanding Behavioral Health Services as Usual for Children and Adolescents: Diverse Practitioner and Treatment Characteristics. Symposium presented at the 44th Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy, San Francisco, California.
- Middlebury College, B.A., 2009
- Concentrations: Psychology, Spanish (minor)