My primary research interests focus on attentional engagement and processing of suicide-related information and how these processes may indicate individuals' move from suicidal thoughts to suicidal behavior. In addition, I am interested in how sleep disturbance and nonsuicidal self-injury confer risk for suicide attempts.
Selected Publications/Book Chapters:
- Glenn, C. R., Franklin, J. C., Kearns, J. C., Lanzillo, E. C., & Nock, M. K. (2016). Suicide research methods and designs. In R. O'Connor & J. Pirkis (Eds.), International handbook of suicide prevention: Research, policy, and practice (2nd edition). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
- Green, J. D., Kearns, J. C., Ledoux, A. M., Addis, M. E., & Marx, B. P. (2015). The association between masculinity and nonsuicidal self-injury. American Journal of Men's Health. doi: 10.1177/1557988315624508
- Glenn, C. R., Jaroszewski, A., Millner, A., Kearns, J. C., & Nock, M. K. (2015). Nonsuicidal self-injury: Old problem, new disorder, limited data. In E. J. Bromet (Ed.), Long-term outcomes in psychopathology research: Rethinking the scientific agenda. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Green, J. D., Kearns, J. C., Marx, B. P., Nock, M. K., Rosen, R. C., & Keane, T. M. (2016, October). Evaluating Safety Plan Effectiveness: Do Safety Plans Tailored to Individual Veteran Characteristics Decrease Risk? Symposium to be presented at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies 50th Annual Meeting. New York, NY.
- Robinaugh, D. J., Cha, C. B., Kearns, J. C., Marx, B. P., Keane, T. M., & Nock, M. K. (2015, November). Hopelessness and Prospection in Suicidal and Non-Suicidal Veterans. Symposium presented at the Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies 49th Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL.
- Marx, B. P., Kearns, J. C., Green, J. D., Rosen, R. C., & Keane, T. M. (2015, April). Postdeployment Social Support as a Protective Factor for Suicide Risk among OEF/OIF Veterans. Symposium presented at the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Philadelphia, PA.
- Green, J. D., Bovin, M. J., Kearns, J. C., Black, S. K., Marx, B. P., Rosen, R. C., & Keane, T. M. (2015, April). Longitudinal Association of Functional Impairment and Suicidality in OEF/OIF Veterans. Symposium presented at the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Miami, FL.
- Teaching Assistant: Introduction to Psychology, Fall 2016