My research passion lies with studying romantic relationship processes. I am particularly interested in how couples utilize maintenance mechanisms, such as derogation of attractive alternatives, to attenuate extradyadic threat and bolster trust levels. I do this by examining how dyadic feedback processes unique to a particular couple interact with each individual's personality traits to influence relational outcomes.
- Jamieson, J. P., Black, A. E., Pelaia, L., & Reis, H. T. (in press). The impact of math anxiety on stress appraisals, neuroendocrine responses, and academic performance in a community college sample. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Black, A. E., & Reis, H., T. (2019) Responsiveness. In The Macmillan Encyclopedia of Families, Marriages, and Intimate Relationships (Vol 2, pp. 754-756). Macmillan Reference USA.
- Black, A. E., & Reis, H. T. (2019, May). Is your eye roaming?: Perceptions of the partner's devaluation of attractive alternatives. Symposium Presentation at the 6th Annual Social Psychologists Around Western New York (SPAWN). Syracuse, NY.
- Black, A. E., & Reis, H. T. (2018, May). Perceiving Targets as Responsive Increases Resilience When Experiencing Daily Setback. Poster Presentation at the International Association of Relationship Researchers (IARR) Conference. Fort Collins, CO.
- Black, A. E., & Reis, H. T. (2017, June). Perseverance and Passion for One's Partner: Exploring Grit in a Relational Context. Poster Presentation at the New Scholars Workshop for the International Association of Relationship Researchers (IARR) Mini-Conference. Syracuse, NY.
- Black, A. E., & Crocker, J. (2016, March). Characteristics of Self-Protective and Wholehearted People. Poster Presentation at the 20th Annual Denman Forum. Columbus, OH.
- Teaching Assistant: Data Analysis I (Graduate-level statistics course); Fall 2019
- Teaching Assistant: Social Cognition, Fall 2018
- Teaching Assistant: Human Sexuality, Spring 2017; Spring 2018
- Teaching Assistant: Relationship Processes and Emotion, Fall 2016; Fall 2017
- Statistics Tutor: Data Analysis, 2015-2016
- 2016: Denman Forum Awardee
- 2016: Inducted into Sigma Xi Honors Society
- 2015-2016: Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society
- 2014: Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society
- 2013-2016: Inducted into Psi Chi Honors Society
- 2012-2016: Dean's List
2019: Master of Arts in Social Psychology from The University of Rochester
2016: Bachelor of Science in Psychology from The Ohio State University with Honors Research Distinction, Summa Cum Laude