Thank you for your interest in the University of Rochester's Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Program. We are delighted to share how the program has been re-imagined to better serve students pursuing careers in the health professions.
Designed for career changers, the Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Program (PBPH) serves to prepare individuals seeking admission to professional schools. Whether medicine, dentistry, vet, nursing, pharmacy or others, the PBPH program allows individuals with a bachelors degree to complete the pre-requisite coursework necessary for their intended professional program. In addition to receiving an academic preparation from a top tier research university, the PBPH program offers the following advantages:
- Personalized advising: Your PBPH advisor will support you with your academic planning, gaining relevant experience and preparing your application.
- Clinical, research and service opportunities: Housed in the Gwen M. Greene Career & Internship Center, students benefit from the myriad of opportunities and connections that prepare students for careers in the health professions.
- Health Committee Letter: A personalized recommendation letter from your PBPH advisor encapsulates your accomplishments and presents your candidacy to admissions committees.
- Professional School Affiliation Agreements: When it comes time to apply to professional school, the PBPH offers students the opportunity to take advantage of agreements we have with professional programs to provide a supportive and often expedited pathway for admissions into those insitutions.
- Discounted MCAT Prep Course through Kaplan
About the University of Rochester
The University of Rochester, founded in 1850, is a private, highly selective university renowned for its innovative faculty and world-class learning environment in science, engineering, and medicine. It is one of the smallest of the nation’s finest research universities, making education remarkably personal.
We pride ourselves on our atmosphere of intellectual passion and the spirit of curiosity that inspires our students and professors alike. Committed, enthusiastic professors will teach your science courses; they make curiosity and discovery the focus of their lives.
One of the nation's top academic medical centers, The University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), forms the centerpiece of the University's health research, teaching, patient care and community outreach missions. The URMC recently committed $500 million over the next ten years to improving its research, technology, and patient care facilities. Your initiation into the study of science will take place in an environment where researchers and doctors are already collaborating to innovate patient care.
The School of Medicine and Dentistry, Strong Memorial Hospital, Golisano Children’s Hospital, and the Eastman Dental Center are all part of the University of Rochester’s Medical Center. They are a five-minute walk from the River Campus, where the pre-requisite courses are taught.
Living in Rochester
The City of Rochester is a fun place to live—it has the friendly feeling of a small town, but the culture of a metropolis. There are festivals of every shape and size—a world-famous jazz festival, film festivals, arts and crafts festivals, and even a festival honoring our beautiful lilacs.
Our cozy winters are perfect for hunkering down over one’s studies—and for enjoying skiing, skating, snowshoeing, and sledding. Rochester has coffee shops galore, gorgeous beaches and waterfalls, professional sports teams, wonderful museums, and some of the best music you’ve ever heard performed by the students and professors at the University of Rochester’s Eastman School of Music.