Graduate Program

Bachelor's/Master's Program

The Department of Physics and Astronomy offers a 3/2 Bachelor's/Master's program, in which students study for five years and receive both the Bachelor's (B.S.) and Master's (M.S. or M.A.) degrees.

Program Requirements

Students in the Physics and Astronomy 3/2 program must satisfy the College degree requirements for the Bachelor's (B.S.) degree in either Physics or Physics and Astronomy, as well as for the Master's degree in Physics. The Master's degree in Physics may be either under Plan A (M.S. degree), which requires a dissertation and an oral examination on the dissertation, or Plan B (M.A. degree), which only requires that the student pass the Department's Master's Comprehensive Examination. This is the same examination as the Department's Preliminary Examination; however, the candidate need only pass at the Master's level. It is expected that the student will complete the requirements for the Bachelor's degree by the end of the fourth year.  For either Master's degree, at least 30 credit-hours of coursework are required beyond those for the Bachelor's degree, with the following stipulations:

Admission to the Program

Students who wish to apply to the 3/2 program should do so in the Spring of their junior year (applications will be accepted during the Fall of the senior year, up to Nov. 1, but junior year applications are strongly preferred). Students should identify a faculty member who will agree to serve as advisor and, for Plan A students, will supervise the dissertation research (often the faculty member will supervise the student's senior thesis). Students should apply through the usual graduate studies application, with the following modifications:

The Graduate Admissions Committee will decide admission to the program based on academic records and letters of recommendation. Support for the fifth year of the 3-2 program is available in the form of a partial tuition scholarship at the level of up to 75% for qualifying students. Additional support in special circumstances may be available in the form of a tuition scholarship and/or a teaching or research assistantship.