Courses Offered (subject to change)
- CHI 211 Introduction to Pre-Modern Chinese Literature and Culture (Fall 2015)
- CHI 212 Cities and the Country in Modern Chinese Culture (Spring 2013)
- CHI 214 "Dream of the Red Chamber" (Spring 2016)
- CHI 215 Writing, Visuality, and the Powers of Images (Fall 2014)
- CHI 220 Chinese Landscapes: Space, Place, and Travel (Fall 2014)
- CHI 230 Contemporary Chinese Art (Fall 2016)
- CHI 233 Chinese Visual Culture: Medium and Materiality (Spring 2011)
- CHI 235 Photography in East Asia (Spring 2017)
- CHI 237 Chinese Film (Spring 2016)
- CLT 389 Major Seminar (Fall 2016/Spring 2017)
- Shadow Modernism: Photography, Writing, and Space in Shanghai, 1925-1937. Duke UP, 2017, forthcoming.
- "Animal, Vegetable, and Mineral: Photograph Ecologies in Contemporary China and Beyond." October, accepted.
- "The Lives of Form: From Zhang Jin to Aaron Siskind." ASAP/Journal, vol. 1, no. 3, Sep. 2016, pp. 461-486. Project MUSE, doi:10.1353/asa.2016.0041.
- Editor. Photography's Places. Spec. issue of positions: east asia cultures critique, vol. 18, no. 3, Winter 2010. Project MUSE, muse.jhu.edu/issue/22033.
- "Poor and Blank: History's Marks and the Photographies of Displacement." Representations, vol. 109, no. 1, Winter 2010, pp. 1-34. U of California P Journals, doi:10.1525/rep.2010.109.1.1.
- "Shadow Photographs, Ruins, and Shanghai's Projected Past." Cities. Spec. issue of PMLA, vol. 122, no. 1, Jan. 2007, pp. 124-34. PMLA Journals, doi:10.1632/pmla.2007.122.1.124.
- "Shanghai Savage." The Afro-Asian Century. Spec. issue of positions: east asia cultures critique, vol. 11, no. 1, Spring 2003, pp. 91-133. Project MUSE, muse.jhu.edu/article/40653.
- "Lishi de henji, zonghe meijie: Zhang Xinmin de Liukeng, zai ciyu yu sheying zhijian" ["Historical Traces, Composite Media: Zhang Xinmin's Liukeng, Between Word and Photograph"]. Translated by Yang Xiaoyan. Shijie, vol. 8, 2002.
Work in Progress
- Photograph Ecologies: Nature, Culture, and Contemporary Photography in China, Japan, and the West. Book manuscript.
Photography in East Asia; Chinese visual and material culture and literature; philosophies of nature and ecological aesthetics; image, medium, and art theories; Chinese and global modernisms; space, place, travel, and landscape; ethnographic, historical, and literary narrative
Honors and Activities
- Townsend Center Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley
- Junior Faculty Research Grant, Academic Senate Committee on Research, University of California, Berkeley
- McKnight Summer Fellowship for the Arts and Humanities, University of Minnesota
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Center for Chinese Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- Regional Worlds Dissertation Writing Fellowship, University of Chicago Globalization Project
- Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Center for East Asian Studies, University of Chicago
- Dissertation Research Fellowship, Committee for Scholarly Communication with China
- Century Fellowship, University of Chicago