My research focuses on the chivalric elite in late medieval and early modern Italy, specifically the Angevin Kingdom of Naples. I am interested in how nobles adapted to and resisted changing social norms related to the rise of centralized government and the subsequent monopolization of violence by the state.
Worthy Lords and Honorable Violence: Chivalry in Angevin Naples, 1250-1382
MA, History, University of Rochester, 2017
BA (Honors), History, Indiana University Kokomo, 2016
- Review: Sandro Carocci. Lordships of Southern Italy: Rural Societies, Aristocratic Powers and Monarchy in the 12thand 13thCenturies. Tr. Lucinda Byatt. In H-Net Italy (Forthcoming, Summer 2019).
- Review: Joanna Bellis and Laura Slater, eds., Representing War and Violence, 1250-1600. In the Journal of Medieval Military History (January 2019).
- Review: Martin Aurell, The Lettered Knight: Knowledge and Aristocratic Behaviour in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries. In Journal of Medieval Military History (August 17, 2017).
- Essay: "Professor Richard Kaeuper: Beyond Prowess, Piety and Public Order"
- "'we were being mercilessly killed': Chivalry, Warfare, and Death in Trecento Naples," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2019.
- "Refashioning the Chivalric Elite in Fourteenth Century Naples, c. 1335-1362," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2018.
- "'the filthy odor from the bloody carnage': Chivalric Violence and Knightly Deaths in Fourteenth Century Naples," Indiana University Medieval Studies Institute Symposium, April 2018.
- "Giovanni Boccaccio's Understanding of Chivalry and Gender in the Regno (1335-1341)," Annual Symposium on Medieval and Renaissance Studies, St Louis, MO, June 2017.
- "Resisting the New Solomon: Knightly Kingship and Lordship in the Teseida and Regia Carmina of Fourteenth-Cenutry Naples (1335-1341)," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2017.
- "From Sorrow to Anger among the Chivalric Elite of Late Medieval Florence," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2016.
- "An Economy of Honor in Late Medieval Florence," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2015.
- Hitler's Germany, Spring 2019, Teaching Assistant.
- History of Modern Japan, Fall 2018, Teaching Assistant.
- History of Latin America Through Soccer (1867-2017), Fall 2017, Apprentice Teacher.
- Rolf und Ursula Schneider-Stiftung Research Fellowship, Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel, Germany (2019).
- Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Research Grant (2017).
- American Friends of the Herzog August Bibliothek Research Funding (2019).
- Harkins Prize, for the graduate student who has written the best seminar paper, University of Rochester (2018).
- Lina and A. William Salomone Prize, for the graduate student who has done outstanding work in Modern European history, University of Rochester (2018).
- Coates Book Prize, for the graduate student most fully demonstrating historical imagination and the capacity for research, University of Rochester (2017).
- Research and Travel Funding, University of Rochester History Department (2017-18).
- Distinguished Alumni Scholarship, Indiana University (2015).