PhD, Victoria University of Wellington (2015)
MSc, University of Washington (2012)
BSc, University of Washington (2009)
I am a glaciologist and earth scientist specializing in the use of glacier ice as a medium for understanding past, present and future climate and atmospheric chemistry, and employing geochemical techniques to reveal this information. I enjoy the creativity of scientific research, the challenge of organizing and executing field-based studies, and the community that is fostered in pursuits to better understand the Earth system.
I am a member of the Petrenko ice core research group: http://www.sas.rochester.edu/ees/petrenko/group.html
You can find a great article by POST Rochester about our ice core research here: http://postrochester.com/ancient-ice/
Listen to a recent WXXI radio interview, Connections hosted by Evan Dawson, with Vas Petrenko and me: http://wxxinews.org/post/connections-new-methane-research-shows-human-impact-climate-change
I also occasionally review news articles covering climate change at ClimateFeedback.org.Breitbart misrepresents research from 58 scientific papers to falsely claim that they disprove human-caused global warming
- Winton, VHL, Edwards, R, Delmonte, B, Ellis, A, Andersson, PS, Bowie, A, Bertler, NAN, Neff, P and Tuohy, A (2016). Multiple sources of soluble atmospheric iron to Antarctic waters. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, doi:10.1002/2015GB005265.
- Tuohy, A, Bertler, N, Neff, P, Edwards, R, Emanuelsson, D, Beers, T and Mayewski P (2015). Transport and deposition of heavy metals in the Ross Sea Region, Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, doi: 10.1002/2015JD023293.
- Neff, PD and Bertler, NAN (2015). Trajectory modeling of modern dust flux to the Southern Ocean and Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120, 9309-9322, doi: 10.1002/2015JD023304.
- WAIS Divide Project Members (incl. P Neff) (2015). Precise interpolar phasing of abrupt climate change during the last ice age. Nature, 520, 661-665, doi: 10.1038/nature14401.
- Neff, PD (2014). A review of the brittle ice zone in polar ice cores. Annals of Glaciology, 55(68), 72-82, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG68A023.
- Souney, JM, Twickler, MS, Hargreaves, GM, Bencivengo, B, Kippenhan, M, Johnson, JA, Cravens, E, Neff, PD, Nunn, R, Orsi, AJ, Popp, TJ, Rhoades, J, Vaughn, BH, Voigt, DE, Wong, GJ and Taylor KC (2014). Core handling and processing for the WAIS Divide ice-core project. Annals of Glaciology, 55(68), 15-26, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG68A008.
- WAIS Divide Project Members (incl. P Neff) (2013). Onset of deglacial warming in West Antarctica driven by local orbital forcing, Nature, 500, 440-444, doi: 10.1038/nature12376.
- Steig, EJ, Ding, Q, White, JWC, Küttel, M, Rupper, SB, Neumann, TA, Neff, PD, Gallant, AJE, Mayewski, PA, Taylor, KC, Hoffmann, G, Dixon, DA, Schoenemann, SW, Markle, BR, Fudge, TJ, Schneider, DP, Schauer, AJ, Teel, RP, Vaughn, BH, Burgener, L, Williams, J and Korotkikh, E (2013). Recent climate and ice-sheet changes in West Antarctica compared with the past 2,000 years. Nature Geoscience, 6(5), 372-375, doi: 10.1038/ngeo1778.
- Neff, PD, Steig, EJ, Clark, DH, McConnell, JR, Pettit, EC and Menounos, B (2012). Ice-core net snow accumulation and seasonal snow chemistry at a temperate-glacier site: Mount Waddington, southwest British Columbia, Canada. Journal of Glaciology, 58(212), 1165-1175, doi: 10.3189/2012JoG12J078.