Lionel W. McKenzie Lecture Series
Starting in the Spring of 1986, graduate students have chosen an outstanding scholar to visit for a day, giving a lecture and talking with graduate students. This series honors Lionel McKenzie for his outstanding contribution to the field of economics and for his life-long commitment to the Rochester PhD program.
The Department provides the Graduate Student Council with the funds necessary to pay for travel and an honorarium. The students usually arrange a "pot-luck" dinner for the speaker, which provides an ideal setting for informal discussions between students and the speaker.
The McKenzie Lecture Series is partially supported by the Tapan Mitra Endowment, and recognizes Professor McKenzie's supervision of Dr. Mitra's PhD thesis when Dr. Mitra was a graduate student in Economics at the University of Rochester.
Some of the most influential contemporary economists have participated in this series:
- Janet Currie (2018) Small Area Variations and Physician Decision Making: The Case of Depression
- Paul R. Milgrom (2017) Discovering Prices: Auctions for Markets with Complex Constraints
- Per Krusell (2016) Labor Supply in the Past, Present, and Future: A Balanced-Growth Perspective.
- Ivan Werning (2015) Macroprudential Financial Regulation: Theories New and Old.
- George J. Mailath (2014) Premuneration Values, Investments, and Pricing in Matching Markets.
- Robert Wilson (2013) Market Design.
- Josh Angrist (2012) Explaining Charter School Effectiveness.
- Matthew Jackson (2011) Network Patterns of Favor Exchange.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki (2010) Financial Intermediation and Credit Policy in Business Cycle Analysis.
- David Card (2009) Immigration and Inequality.
- Daron Acemoglu (2008) Institutional Persistence: Is There an Iron Law of Oligarchy?
- Jerry R. Green (2007) Choice, Rationality and Welfare Measurement.
- Ariel Rubinstein (2006) The Economics of the Jungle: Comments on the Way We Teach Economics.
- Robert E. Hall (2005) New Ideas about the Causes and Magnitudes of Recessions.
- Alvin Roth (2004) Kidney Exchange.
- Oliver Hart (2003) Firm versus Contracts.
- Robert Barro (2002) Religion and Economics.
- Eric Maskin (2001) Auctions and Efficiency
- Thomas J. Sargent (2000) Robustness in Macroeconomics
- Joseph Stiglitz (1999) Global Financial Crises
- Robert Merton (1998)
- Paul Krugman (1997) Globalisation and Globaloney
- David M. Kreps (1996) Bounded Rationality and Transaction Cost Economics
- Paul M. Romer (1995) The Extended Preference Approach to Human Behavior
- Robert Fogel (1994) Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy
- Robert J. Aumann (1993) "As If" Reasoning in Games Theory and Economics
- Lars Hansen (1992)
- Truman Bewley (1991) A Theoretical View...
- Hugo Sonnenschein (1990) The Uses and Limitations of Extensive Form Game Theory
- Gary Becker (1989) Rational Addiction
- Andreu Mas-Colell (1988) Gross Substitutability in Large-Square Economies
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. (1987) On the Mechanics of Economic Development
- Edward Prescott (1986) Dynamic Coalitions, Firm Size, and Growth