- May 28, 2015
- Helen Wood Hall 1W304
UNYTE Scientific Session
Hitting the Accelerator: Health Research Innovation through Data Science
Thursday, May 28, 2015
11:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
University of Rochester
Helen Wood Hall Auditorium (1W304)
Purpose: To bring together health researchers and data scientists, from across multiple institutions.
Participants will have opportunities to:
- Explore innovative biomedical informatics methods and their recent applications in health research;
- Share discipline-specific expertise; and
- Accelerate collaborations.
Registration deadline is May 15th.
Welcome and Keynote
Martin S. Zand, M.D., Ph.D.
Martin Zand, MD, PhD is a Co-Director of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) at the University of Rochester Medical Center and Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology at the University of Rochester. He is also the Director of the Rochester Center for Health Informatics, and co-director of the Center for Biodefense Immune Modeling.
Current examples of successful biomedical informatics methods applied to health research
- Tim Dye, PhD is the CTSI's Director of Biomedical Informatics, and Associate Director for Population Health for the CTSI. He is also a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Dye is a perinatal epidemiologist and medical ecologist.
- Henry Kautz, PhD is the Robin & Tim Wentworth Director of the Institute for Data Science and Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Rochester.
- Norma Nowak, PhD is the Executive Director of the University of Buffalo's New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, a professor of Biochemistry at the University of Buffalo and founder and chief scientific officer of Empire Genomics LLC, a molecular diagnostics company focused on enabling personalized medicine.
Break-Out Groups and Lunch
Lunch will be provided in the break-out rooms
Topics are still being finalized, but will include (at a minimum):
- Regional Data-Sharing
- Utilizing Non-Clinical Data Sources for Health Improvement
- Building Research Repositories: Navigating Technical and Organizational Challenges
Poster Session (click here for the Call for Poster Abstracts)
Please direct any questions to Celine Thompson at Celine_Thompson@urmc.rochester.edu.